Monday, October 12, 2009

my twin/not twin

for a while, some of my family members thought I was a schoolteacher. they thought that because they'd seen me on tv. this was odd since i'm not a schoolteacher and I haven't been on tv.

then, at a writers' meeting, we were going around the circle and I introduced myself. the man beside me said, "my wife's name is (my name), but this is not my wife." I didn't really talk to him because he was even more weirded out than I was, but she was the schoolteacher.

then a reporter called my house and left a message. she wanted the schoolteacher married to the writer. I got home after her deadline, but I called and let her know I was altogether the wrong person.

I never saw this lady, but by my family's reaction and her husband's reaction we looked alike. I don't know if the name was her real name (like me) or her name after marriage. so many people would say they'd seen me places I hadn't been or tell me they knew someone who looked just like me. after a while, I started to believe.

oddly, I never saw her (and I don't have "missing time" to account for another life, haha). this hasn't happened in a while... but, i'm sure it must happen to a lot of people. doesn't it?

7 comments:

Ricky Sprague said...

Back in college a friend told me she'd just seen my doppelgänger, just around the corner, and maybe if I ran I could catch him. I tried, but I couldn't find him.

I have often wondered if that person is the cause of all my current troubles.

shampoo said...

Ricky Sprague, you never know... especially if he was perfectly aware of you. hehe funny how you never get to meet them, according to legend (and the movie with drew barrymore).

Allen said...

My twin kept Leia as a slave, but not for long.
Any twin of Shampoo's is very lucky.

shampoo said...

Allen, now now... though it took me like five minutes to figure that out. (sigh)

thank you for the compliment. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.